Six churches and one private school currently serve as PADS shelter sites throughout the week. Contact information for each of the sites is listed below:
|Day of Week||Location||PADS Director/email|
|Sunday||Cross Lutheran Church|
8609 Route 47, Yorkville
|Monday||Yorkville Congregational UCC|
409 Center Parkway, Yorkville
|Tuesday||Harvest New Beginnings|
5315 Douglas Road, Oswego
|Wednesday||Parkview Christian Academy|
202 E Countryside Parkway, Yorkville
|Thursday||Trinity Church United Methodist|
2505 Boomer Lane, Yorkville
|Friday||Church of the Good Shepherd UMC|
5 W. Washington Street, Oswego
|Saturday||St. Luke's Lutheran Church|
63 Fernwood, Montgomery
Volunteers generally work just ONE shift per month (about 4-1/2 hours). View a map of all of the sites listed above.
Volunteers, both men and women, age 18 and older, will staff the site from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Two men and two women will team up to cover the various responsibilities for each of the three shifts:
- Shift I – 6:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m. – Set up the PADS designated area of the site, including setting out the mattresses, linens, towels, and zip-bags of personal toiletries for the guests. Register guests as they arrive. Eat supper with guests and visit with guests. Lights out at 10:00 p.m.
- Shift II – 10:45 p.m. – 3:00 a.m. – Guests will usually be sleeping. Prepare sandwiches for sack lunches for guests to take with them when they leave in the morning. Volunteers will be stationed to monitor the guests and building. This shift will allow you to do your own quiet activities, such as working on your computer or reading. All sites have wi-fi capability.
- Shift III – 2:45 a.m. – 7:30 a.m. – Wake up guests at 6:00 a.m. and serve a light breakfast. Assist guests in cleaning their mattresses and sleeping area. Oversee checkout and give them their sack lunch. Clean up the PADS site: put away equipment and supplies; bag up the linens and towels; clean up the breakfast and kitchen areas. Send an e-mail report to the coordinators.
- Food Team – 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. Four volunteers team to prepare parts of an evening nutritious meal and serve it to guests – just one time per month. Food prep at home; set up, serve, clean up on site.
Volunteers are urgently needed for Shift II and Shift III at all sites. Please consider offering your time to fill one of these time slots.
Other ways to serve the PADS program:
- Transport used linens and towels from a shelter site to the Kendall County Correction Center and return the clean linens and towels to the same site (one time per month; about one hour of time).
- Serve as a “Volunteer Coordinator” for a particular site. This person keeps the schedule and calls volunteers for a specific site. This work can be done on your own schedule as you work from home.
- Assist with a wide range of publicity for the PADS program. Contact PADS to communicate your interests and talents and desire to help the PADS program.